Pretty much all my life, since I was a little girl, I’ve felt insecure about my body. It’s a terrible feeling to have for so many years and unfortunately many women go through this. Even more unfortunate, some women will go a whole lifetime feeling insecure. I spent a majority of my high school and college years going on diet after diet. Some were healthier than others. I even went to the extreme measures of going on a diet where I could only consume 500 calories a day. But of course after I stopped doing any diet, I gained my weight back and then some. My weight was a yo-yo.
After years of being on a roller coaster with my body, I finally decided enough was enough. I went through a self-love journey and focused more on a lifestyle change. This lifestyle change wasn’t all about being healthier physically, but feeling better emotionally. During this journey, I discovered some simple things I could do in order to feel more confident and I think they are well worth sharing with you!
- TRY NEW FASHIONS. Being heavier, I never thought I could wear the current styles or experiment with my outfits. I hid under flowy tops and sweatpants. Once I discovered stores like Torrid and ASOS Curve, I stepped outside of my comfort zone and tried styles I’ve always liked on “thinner” girls. Who would have thought that some of the current trends really show off your curves… in a good way!
- SHOP AT STORES THAT SELL YOUR SIZE. Keeping on the same line as fashion, I can’t express how important it is to shop at the stores that sell your size. I used to step into stores like PacSun and Abercrombie as a teenager and instantly feel terrible about my body. You feel like everyone is staring at you, thinking to themselves, “what does she think she’s going to find in here at that size?” First off, no one is thinking that. That’s absolutely ridiculous. When you can walk into a store without the pressure of desperately wanting to fit into that size M crop top, you can have FUN and actually buy the clothes you like! The paranoia of everyone staring at you immediately goes away and you’ll even feel like the store workers are genuinely excited you’re there and interested to know what you’re looking for. Let them help you and never be ashamed of your size!
- SMILE OFTEN. This is something I live by. It really is a woman’s best accessory. Even if they’re fake smiles, they lead to real smiles, which ultimately leads to feeling happy and happiness is the best kind of confidence there is.
- WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU LOVE ABOUT YOURSELF. And write it often. And it doesn’t have to be just the physical stuff! So you love your hair, great, write that down. You love how driven your are? Perfect! Write that down, too. Make a list, look back on it often, and ADD to it often! Oh, and never ever everrrrrr cross anything off that list.
- GET YOUR PHOTO TAKEN BY A PROFESSIONAL. It’s natural to feel insecure and nervous just before a photo shoot, but if you hire a good photographer *cough*me*cough*, he/she will highlight your best features and make all the things you love about yourself shine. You’ll not only leave the shoot feeling good about your photos, but you’ll leave feeling great about yourself. I always suggest to my clients planning a night out with the girl’s or a romantic date afterwards. Trust me, you’ll want to show-off all that confidence!
Call to Action:
- Be sure to sign up to become an official Queen Bee on the BIP List. Trust me, it’s a list you want to be on. Exclusive tips, advice, and inspiration to living a successful and happy life!
- I’m also on Bloglovin’, Instagram, and Twitter! Let’s be friends, okay?
- Lastly, comment below letting me know if you’d like to see more posts on confidence and self-love!